ROASTED CHEESY POTATOES w/ Bacon and Red Chili | Toasted Coconut & Chocolate Smores Dip | Grilled Kabobs w/ Spicy Pineapple Chicken (Air date: 6-12-19)
ROASTED CHEESY POTATOES w/ Bacon and Red ChiliServes 4 – Takes 15 min
1 bag of (Steamable/ Precooked) Baby Potato
2 T Tajin ( any Mexican seasoning)
2 medium green onions (sliced)
1-cup mozzarella (shredded)
2 T Butter
2 T Bacon Bits
Salt and Pepper
1 cup Red Chili (any salsa works as a substitute) ( idea that people bring chips and salsa while they go camping) Here in Denver love our southwestern flavors
1. Get Campfire to medium coals
2. Slice Potatoes and Butter- season (place in aluminum packet)
3. Flip a couple times, so its not burning on each side
4. When at the 10 min mark, Open packets, place cheese, scallions and bacon inside
5. Let it finish for 4-5 more min till cheese melts, you can leave the packets open!
Toasted Coconut & Chocolate Smores DipServes 6 - Takes 10 min
2 cups Milk Chocolate Chips (Hershey’s Bars are fine)
Little Shooter of Baileys
½ pack Vanilla Wafer Cookies
1 ½ cup toasted coconut flakes
Graham Crackers to dip
Cast Iron Pan w/Lid
1. Add chocolate chips in the bottom of the pan with your shooter of baileys: layer cookies and then ½ the coconut
2. Place Marshmallows on top in a circular pattern
3. Place over medium coals, lid closed or covered until everything is melted and marshmallows are golden (5-10 min)
4. Add rest of coconut on top
5. Serve with graham crackers for your dip!
Grilled Kabobs w/ Spicy Pineapple ChickenServes 4 - Takes 20-25 min
1½ pound boneless skinless thighs (cut into 1 inch)
(can marinate overnight with (Salt/pepper/ soy sauce, garlic)
1 green bell pepper (diced)
1 orange bell pepper (diced)
1 red onion (diced)
1 yellow zucchini (diced)
1 pineapple (cubed)
1 orange ( Juice)
Ginger Sesame Dressing (any brand works)
Grill or Roasting rack
Some sort of plate
Oil to grill on grate
1. Soak skewers in water while you start your prep
2. Cut all veggies and chicken, about the same size
3. Take dressing and fresh orange juice and mix in a bowl
4. While placing the meat and veggies on the skewers, get the grill hot, you want to create a nice sear/ char
5. Lather dressing on to Kabobs while rotating
6. Cook until finished ( 20-25 min)
Mix all ingredients except the cabbage and corn. Fold in the cabbage and corn. Garnish with more cotija and cilantro.
Loaded Macaroni Salad
1lb Elbow Macaroni cooked and drained
3/4 c mayonnaise
2T Dijon mustard
1c shredded white cheddar
1c diced ham
3 poblanos, roasted and diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix mayo, mustard, salt and pepper together. Fold in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate 3-4 hours before serving.
Mashed Potato Salad
6 c pre-made or leftover mashed potatoes
1c sour cream
2T apple cider vinegar
1c shredded cheddar (1/4 c reserved)
1c chopped cooked bacon (1/4 c reserved)
1/4c green onions (1T reserved)
Mix first 6 ingredients together (potatoes, mayo, sour cream, vinegar, salt, and pepper) together. Fold in remaining ingredients (excluding reserved). Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving. Garnish with reserved ingredients.
Chef Hosea's Skirt Steak a la Plancha with Chimichurri Sauce (Air date: 5-24-19)
2 lbs cleaned and trimmed skirt steak
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 sprigs rosemary
2 cloves garlic
fresh cracked black pepper
1 bunch parsley chopped
1 bunch cilantro chopped
1 large clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1/2 tsp red chile flake
1 C olive oil
1/4 C lemon juice
- Combine first five ingredients and let steak marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- Prior to cooking, remove steak and set out for at least 20 minutes to come to room temp
- Season to with salt and pepper and cook (on grill or cast iron pan) to desired temp
- Combine remaining ingredients except lemon juice
- If you have a mortar and pestle this can all be ground up that way, instead of chopping.
- Can be made 1 day ahead and kept in refrigerator
- Just before serving, stir in lemon juice
- Spoon over steak for the most delicious homemade condiment!
Chili's Skillet Queso (Air date: 5-1-19)
16 oz Velveeta
3/4 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional, if you like it spicy)
15 oz Wolf Chili (No Beans)
2 tsp Chili Powder
2 tsp Lime Juice
1/2 tsp Cumin
FIRST: Cut the Velveeta into cubes.
THEN: Heat all ingredients in pan over medium heat stirring frequently.
FINALLY: Serve with warm tortilla chips.
Tropical Pavlova (Air date: 4-17-19)
1 ½ Cups (10½ ounces) sugar
¾ cup (6 ounces) egg whites (5 to 7 large eggs)
1 ½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups small diced pineapple
2 cups small dice pineapple
3-5 tablespoons of vanilla sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
¼ cup passion fruit juice
White Chocolate Whipped Cream
2 cups heavy cream, chilled
3 ½ ounces white chocolate, melted
2 teaspoons of powdered gelatin bloomed(slightly less than 1 pkg.) or 2 leaves of sheet gelatin bloomed.
1. For the Meringues: Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 200-250F degrees. Combine sugar and egg whites in bowl of stand mixer; place bowl over saucepan filled with 1 inch simmering water, making sure that water does not touch bottom of bowl. Whisking gently but constantly, heat until sugar is completely dissolved – about 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Fit stand mixer with whisk attachment and whip mixture on high speed until meringue forms stiff peaks, is smooth and creamy, and is bright white with sheen, about 4 minutes (bowl may still be slightly warm to touch). Stop mixer and scrape down bowl with spatula. Add vinegar, cornstarch, and vanilla and whip on high speed until combined, about 20 seconds.
3. Spoon (or pipe from a bag) about ¼ teaspoon meringue onto each corner of 2 rimmed baking sheets. Line sheets with parchment paper, pressing on corners to secure. Spoon heaping ½ cup (or pipe from bag) meringue into 6-8 evenly spaced piles on each sheet. Spread each meringue pile with back of spoon to form 3½-inch disk with slight depression in center.
4. Bake meringues until exteriors are dry and crisp and meringues release cleanly from parchment when gently lifted at edges with thin metal spatula, about 50 minutes. Meringues should be quite pale white. Turn off oven, prop door open with wooden spoon, and let meringues cool in oven for 1½ hours. Or bake until set on outside at 200F for 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before topping, about 15 minutes. (Cooled meringues can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 1 week.)
5. For the Fruit Topping: Dice fresh mango and pineapple. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar and dress with passion fruit juice. Season to taste.
6. For the Whipped Cream: Heat cream to just before boiling. Meanwhile, place white chocolate in medium mixing bowl and bloom gelatin in cold water - place on top of white chocolate. Pour scalded cream over white chocolate and gelatin and let sit for 2 minutes. Whisk together till homogenous. Place in fridge to cool at least 4 hours – ideally overnight. When needed whip in bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment as you would for whip cream.
7. To plate and serve: Carefully peel meringues away from parchment and place on individual plates or serving platter. Spoon ½ cup whipped white chocolate cream into center of each meringue. Using slotted spoon, spoon ½ cup fruit topping on top of whipped cream. Let stand for at least 5 minutes or up to 1 hour. Serve, drizzling pavlovas with any fruit juice from bowl or top with your favorite tropical ice cream or sorbet.
Mix everything together very well. Get waffle iron nice and hot. Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray. Put potato mix in waffle iron and spread out evenly. Cook for 10 minutes. Garnish with sour cream and chives
Whipped Cream Siphon Cake
-190 g milk
-110 g oil (vegetable)
-105 g egg whites
-18 g egg yolks
-190 g sugar
-105 g flour
-5 g salt
Blend everything in a blender, blend very well. Pour into whipped cream siphon, charge with two N20 cartridges. Shake very well. Poke hole in a paper soup cup. Dispense into a paper cup (fill cup halfway).
Microwave on high for 38 seconds. Flip upside down for two minutes to cool Garnish with powdered sugar and berries.
*You can make different kinds of cake: Lemon- add 10g lemon zest, Chocolate- add 50g cocoa powder, Sesame- substitute sesame oil for vegetable oil.
1 Corned Beef, diced – cooked according to package directions and diced
Shredded Red and Green Cabbage with shredded Carrots
Thinly Sliced Green Onions
Potato Sticks or Fried Country Style Potatoes
6” Flour Tortillas
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
1-2 T. Sriracha
1-2 t. minced garlic
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and blend well. Pour into squeeze bottle and refrigerate
Toss the cabbage mixture with a little O’Hagan sauce. Place cabbage on bottom of tortilla. Top with hot corned beef, green onion, potatoes and drizzle with a little more O’Hagan sauce.
1. Sautee onion in 1/4 cup butter until soft. Sprinkle the flour in and cook and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
2. Whisk in half & half and chicken stock.
3. Add the broccoli and carrots.
4. Cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until veggies are tender.
5. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
6. Stir in the cheese.
Thai Spicy Noodles (Air date: 3-5-19)
Makes: 3 Servings
10 oz Dried Pasta (Spaghetti)
5 cups Water
¼ cup Peanut Butter (Skippy Chunky is my favorite)
½ Cup Chicken Stock
2 T Siracha
3 Green Onions
1-2 Cooked Chicken Breast, chopped
6 oz Bell Pepper
4 oz Mushrooms
Optional: Cilantro, Lime, Chopped Peanuts, Mint
(If you do not have Chicken or Fresh Veg, canned ingredients are great!)
1. Place Spaghetti in water cook for 7-10 min
2. Drain Noodles, save 1/3c of water; it’s a chefs secret
3. In same pot, add 2 T of Oil: add veggies, cook until soft
4. Add Peanut Butter, Siracha, pasta water and Chicken Stock into pot, bring to a simmer
5. Combine Pasta, Chicken, and Peanut Sauce
6. Toss in green onions. Add cilantro, mint and some lime for a kick
In a standing mixer bowl, combine yeast, sugar, flour, salt. While mixer is running, add warm water slowly until a ball forms. If sticky, add more flour until it doesn’t stick and a ball forms. If too dry, add more water. Knead ball until firm.
Coat large bowl with oil and set dough ball inside. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature for about 1 hour. Dough should double in size.
Turn dough out on floured surface and knead lightly into smooth ball. Cut ball into 4 equal pieces.
If you don't have time to make the dough you can always get pre-made pizza dough from your local pizzeria or use pre-cooked pizza crust from the grocery store.
FOR THE FLATBREAD:
dough recipe (above)
20 oz Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
2-3oz Prosciutto sliced thin
a few basil leaves
Fresh cracked black pepper
4 oz Fresh arugula leaves
Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
Roll balls of dough into thin circles. Place on pre-heated pizza stone or cast iron pan.
Top with sliced cheese, sliced prosciutto, picked basil leaves, drizzle of olive oil. Bake in oven for about 5-6 minutes, or until edges of dough are dark brown.
Take out and allow to rest for about 2 minutes. Slice into wedges, top with arugula tossed in lemon juice, salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Chinese Cabbage Salad with Chicken made with Veggie spiralizer (Air date: 2-27-19)
1 English cucumber
1 carrot ( blanched)
1/2 cup Jicama (julienne)
1/2 cup Celery (bias cut)
4 cups Shredded cabbage
2 cups cooked chicken
2 oz sesame oil
4 oz canola oil
3 oz rice wine vinegar
6 oz sweet chili sauce (Mae ploy)
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 Tablespoon black pepper
Spiral cut the cucumber and carrots, mix all salad ingredients in a bowl. Toss with dressing to desired taste.
Place everything in a blender and blend for 1 minute.
Garnish with sesame seeds and wonton strips.
Spicy garlic wings (Air date: 2-15-19)
2lbs Chicken wings drums and flats
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 T black pepper
2 oz canola oil
1/2 lbs Butter
1/2 cup Peeled garlic cloves
23oz bottle of Frank’s red hot sauce
1 Tablespoon Crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F
Mix wings with oil, salt, garlic and pepper in a bowl.
Once fryer is heated, add wings to the fryer basket cook for 30 minutes turning every 10 minutes
Check wings with thermometer, ensure internal temp to 165 degrees
Toss in a bowl with warm buffalo sauce
Pozole (Air date: 2-7-19)
1.5 lbs pork butt cut into small dice
3 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Teaspoon white pepper
1 Teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoon ground coriander
2 Tablespoon kosher salt
2 Tablespoon chili powder (preferably guajillo or New Mexico)
1 Tablespoon hot paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 large yellow onion (small dice)
1 # tomatillos peeled, (medium dice)
2- 29oz cans of hominy, strained
6 cups pork or chicken stock
1/2 cup lime juice
1 small Yellow onion (small dice)
1 cup Shredded cabbage
1 radish, sliced
Mix all spices with the diced pork butt.
Put everything into the instapot and cook for 60 minutes.
Garnish with raw yellow onion, cabbage and slice radish.
Steak Tacos & Chipotle Hot Wings (Air date: 1-31-19)
Servings: Enough for a Super Bowl Party
2 lbs Skirt Steak
Chile Rub Marinade, recipe as follows:
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
2 tsp Ancho Chile Powder
2 tsp Chipotle Chile Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Coriander
2 tsp Brown Sugar
Distribute rub onto steak evenly and let marinate covered in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Grill the steak to your desired doneness. While steaks are on the grill, make Pico de Gallo and Guacamole.
For Pico de Gallo, stir together:
5 Roma Tomatoes, diced
1/2 a Yellow Onion, diced
1 Jalapeno, diced
1/2 bunch Cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste
For Guacamole, smash together:
1/4 cup of Pico de Gallo
1/2 bunch Cilantro
Salt to taste
Serve your tacos with:
Chipotle Hot Wings
16 oz Hot Sauce (maybe Franks)
11 oz Brown Sugar
1 oz Chipotle de Arbol, blended
1 # Unsalted Butter
Dash of Cayenne, or as much to your liking
1 cup Rice flour
1 cup water
¼ cup of Bleu Cheese crumble
Peanut oil set at 325 degrees
Celery leaves, optional
Melt butter in a sauce pot, once completely melted whisk in brown sugar, chipotle, hot sauce and cayenne. Once everything is incorporated transfer to a container and put aside.
Combine rice flour and water, look for crepe batter consistency, if more water or flour is needed act accordingly.
Toss wings in rice flour mixture and fry until wings reach 350 degrees F, once the wings are done toss them in the chipotle sauce and crumble the bleu cheese over them. Garnish with celery leaves with if you choose.
Crunchwrap Supreme (Air date: 1-30-19)
1 cup Sour cream
½ cup Nacho Cheese
2 cups Lettuce
1 cup Shredded cheese
1 cup Diced tomatoes
1 lb. Ground Beef
4 Tostada Shells
8 Large Tortillas
1 Packet taco seasoning
Cook ground beef on medium heat with taco seasoning, breaking up meat, until no longer pink.
Stack 4 large flour tortillas and put a tostada shell in the center. Trace around tostada edges with a knife, creating 4 small tortilla rounds. Set aside.
Take an uncut tortilla and start building crunchwrap, adding a scoop of ground beef, and drizzling nacho cheese over. Spread sour cream on tostada shell and place on top. Add lettuce, tomato, and shredded cheese on top of tostada. Put a small tortilla cutout on top and fold the edges of the large tortilla in, inverting each fold.
Over medium heat, cook Crunchwrap fold-side down and cook 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Grilled Red Chicken (Air date: 1-18-19)
Servings: 2 - 3 lbs boneless / skinless chicken thighs (1/2lb per person)
Marinade: All the following into a blender
1/2 cup yogurt
1 small beet peeled, chopped coarse
1/2 small onion chopped coarse
1 tablespoon Madras spice
+ Basic Fresh Curry items: adjust to taste
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1 medium jalapeno
1 tsp coarse salt
Coat chicken thoroughly, set in fridge at least 4 hours or overnight.
Grill on high heat, finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon and coarse salt
Steamed Rice: into a rice cooker or follow stove top directions
2-4 cups of Basmati rice, RInse in cool water, drain. Add equal parts water (adjust for group size)
1 bunch kale, about 4-5 cups - stems removed and julienned (I used the dark green Lacinato Kale)
16 ounces brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup currants
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss diced sweet potatoes on a sheet pan with the olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cook quinoa according to package. Set aside. (I cook 1 cup of dried quinoa, and use the leftovers for other recipes throughout the week)
Prep the kale and brussels sprouts. To julienne kale simply remove stem, stack a few kale leaves on top of each other, roll it up like a tight burrito, and thinly slice to create long strands. (You can also easily buy bags of pre chopped, or shredded kale in most grocery stores.) To slice brussels sprouts hold the root end and thinly slice.
Toast sliced almonds in a dry pan or toaster oven until slightly golden. About 3-5 minutes. Be careful not to let them burn!
In a large salad bowl add the kale, brussels sprouts, sweet potato, almonds, currants, and quinoa. Toss lightly with the lemon dressing. You may not need all of the dressing, but you can store the rest in the fridge for up to 1 week.
In a bowl whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, shallot, and salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until well combined.
*Part of the reason we chose these ingredients is because Jen loves to make large batches of recipes and use it to eat throughout the week. I'm the same way! So this salad simply gets better as it sits. Feel free to make this ahead of time. It won't get soggy!
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
2 cups uncooked macaroni, can also use gluten-free pasta
5 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock
1 12 ounce bag cauliflower florets, or 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
1 cup shredded cheese, I use a mixture of fontina, gruyere, and parmesan
3/4 teaspoon salt
Garnish with chopped chives and extra shredded parmesan cheese
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to package, about 7-8 minutes. Drain noodles and set aside.
In the same pot bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until fork tender, about 5-7 minutes. Once cooked, reserve 1 cup of the chicken stock and set aside. Drain the rest of the cauliflower.
Place the cooked cauliflower in a blender and add the reserved 1 cup of stock. Blend until very smooth. Pour the sauce back into the pot and warm over low heat. Add the cheese and stir continuously until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste. Add the cooked noodles to the cheese sauce and stir until well coated.
Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped chives and extra shredded parmesan cheese if desired.
* I like the combination of the three cheeses in this dish. The fontina is mild and melts beautifully. The gruyere is a little sharp and compliments the mildness of the fontina. And the parmesan gives it a nice salty bite. Together they make the perfect trio for this restaurant style, "healthy-ish" mac and cheese.
Digestion Booster Shot
½ an ounce of lemon juice
½ an ounce of organic apple cider vinegar
A pinch of organic ground ginger
Kale and Romaine Chop
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
1 cup chopped fresh kale
1 beet, cooked and chopped
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/3 cup shredded carrot
1 cup shaved Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced, or 1 ounce shredded cheese (any type) (optional)
1/2 cucumber, chopped
Bottled salad dressing, low-calorie/low sugar
In a medium bowl, combine the romaine, kale, cucumber, beet, broccoli, carrot, Brussels sprouts, sunflower seeds, and avocado or cheese (if using) and mix well. Transfer to a plate and serve with the salad dressing on the side. Dip your fork into the dressing, then spear your salad for each bite.